Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Keep on doing the same thing

We got our bicycle ride in on Sunday, which was great for the fresh air, quality time together, and overall activity, but brutal on my ass. I mean my actual, anatomical ass, specifically the chubby bits under my sit bones. Yeeouch.

Monday and today gave me occasion to observe that if I keep doing the same things, I will keep seeing the same results. If I don't make time to prepare a healthy breakfast, I'll end up buying a bagel with cream cheese. If I work late and get home with less than an hour before I want to be in bed, I won't exercise.

I tried to improve the dietary side of things at lunch, ordering a small pumpkin and corn bisque and a mesclun salad with cucumbers, mushrooms, an organic egg, avocado, and roasted grapes, but it back-fired. The sort of wobbly intestinal discomfort I felt in the afternoon turned into full GI pyrotechnics by the evening. Feeling queasy and yet empty, I was less than enthused about my "healthy eating choices."

Today was a disaster food wise, as I had a date in the evening (margaritas and chilaquiles at my favorite Mexican place), so I wasn't terribly disciplined the rest of the day. Bagel with cream cheese for breakfast, Chinese for lunch: egg drop soup, a vegetable spring roll, and steamed pork dumplings. I actually ordered vegetable dumplings, as if that makes such a big difference, but the restaurant only had pork.

I meant to leave time for a round on the elliptical machine, but my date went later than planned. I did manage the first day of the Hundred Push-Ups, and we walked a lot on the date. He won quite a lot of extra credit points when I told him about my fitness / weight loss plan. I said he'd understand it all when I'm able to pick him up and spin him around my head. He said he could probably do that with me now, and I joked that no, I'm much heavier than I look (or so I hope). "What could you possibly weigh?" he asked, "110, maybe 120?" Bless his heart, he's a keeper.

No comments: